Read these books about New York City for kids before your next family trip to the Big Apple. Perfect for a homeschool unit on the history of New York City, too!
If you're planning a family vacation to New York City this summer, one of the best ways to prepare your kids for the trip is to pick up a few of these children's books about New York City from your library.
I found an excellent assortment of picture books and a few chapter books that will introduce your kids to:
- Major New York City landmarks like the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Ellis Island, and the Met Museum
- New York geography and an understanding of the five boroughs of NYC
- Interesting historical figures from New York City
- Classic children's stories set in New York
If you're planning a homeschool unit on New York history or New York geography, these books are a great starting spot.
You could also pair them with these easy activities:
- Make homemade candied nuts like they sell in the New York street carts or choose one of these other fun New York themed party foods
- Have a family movie night and watch a movie set in New York